championship manager
I've never really been into PC or video games since I was young. It just didn't appeal to me as it would to most kids. Emulating the Malaysian team that won the Thomas Cup way back in 1992, that I rather be doing.
That was until I picked up a copy of Championship Manager. I went ballistic. I could play this game 24/7, even with drooping eyelids at 4am in the morning, knowing I have to be up at 6am for school the next day.
You don't know how emotional you can get over a game, till you've played CM. To "walk off the field", dejected. To know you lost because of that last minute sucker punch. You sigh with relieve with each win. You shout, scream, curse, swear. You clench your fist, tear your hair out and you get mouth ulcers.
You would scour the internet for cheat codes, hot picks, teenage prodigies and tactical strategies. Winning every trophy available made you King of the game. Retaining all of it the next season would elevate you to god-like status.
Trust me, it wasn't just a game. It was life. And it screwed me, over and over again. All the way, right through secondary school. Life's mission wasn't getting past PMR, SPM or STPM. It was building your dream team.

This one started it all. The mother of all Championship Manager setups.

This edition didn't quite pick up. Things weren't much different, except for the introduction of newer leagues. Gameplay got monotonous, but still addictive enough.

CM4 exploded with a huge bang. Better player statistics. Fantastic graphics, even though it was just little dots running around a 2D pitch. This one really gripped me tight. Screenshots here!
Well, it was all more or less over the moment Clinical School started. CM took a backseat, and soon, slowly disappeared out of sight. It was good 2.5 years break.
But now that I'm done, and with too much time on my hands, it comes back to haunt me. Heck, in a brand new form too.

Apparently Eidos & Sports Interactive had a major fallout. Looks like Sports Interactive was the smarter one, by retaining the player codes and gameplay. So now, we've got a all new Football Manager instead. And its already in their 3rd edition! Once a CM fan, always a CM fan.
So, excuse me, while I rot my brains away once again.


2 Comments:
Eh? It's no longer CM since it's called Football Manager. FM le...
Sory la.. I'm rotting at home. Talking crap... hahaha.
cannotttt! tat's like blasphemy man. its against all football management game doctrines. hahaha.
Post a Comment
<< Home